Wednesday, February 4, 2009
contrasting monologues in Fires in the Mirror
“Fires in the Mirror” was a very rewarding book to read, but the issues it deals with are incredibly troubling and disturbing and that is why I think Smith’s decision to include monologues not directly related to the Crown Heights incident was essential. I initially found myself thinking ‘what do these monologues have to do with the conflict at hand?’ but after I finished reading I realized why everything included was necessary. I found the monologue ‘Static’ by the anonymous Lubavitcher woman to be particularly touching, it was one of the few to include humour and allude to positive interaction between the two communities. By demonstrating the young black boy crossing this cultural and religious boundary to help the woman and her family Smith is expressing optimism amidst the differences. The two monologues about hair or wigs were also interesting because of how they explored the self-identities of the two groups. Both black people and Jewish people have different customs relating to their hair and hair styling means different things to both of them. It is a point of comparison but not a negative one and I think it shows how they are alike in their differences. To me, these monologues are what made the collection cohesive. Smith shows that what these communities have suffered (marginalization, violence, discrimination) are not the only things they have in common. In this way, Smith’s performance is able to transcend race and religion and she gains universal appeal which I think is what makes this collection even more powerful and effective.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I think that the monologues are very significant. If you go back to the main theme, it is bout isolated communities. This, in my opinion, what made Smith writes the book in monologues. In fact, monologues can express freely each point of view. The presence of others might influence the speaker and effect the uttered testimony. However, Smith, I do believe, has deliberately wrote the book in such a style, as you mention in your comment, not to show the segregation within same national communities, but to demonstrate the effect of Art. By performing these isolated monologues, these monologues become unified in one person. So it looks like all these scattered testimonies have one source. Moreover, by performing the monologues, the accident which evoked the hidden hatred become a setting that gathers everyone. Accidents, injustice, hatred, jealousy, all these aspects separate people, while Art, no matter what shape it takes, books, performance, engraving, drawing etc... it brings people together.
ReplyDelete