Although I found the readings themselves to be rather rich, the performance of the pieces resonated with me- the music especially.
I might be reading into it a bit too much, but nonetheless...
The counterpoint in the introduction of the first portion on identity is composed of two separate melodic lines- Jazz saxophone and Klezmer music (for lack of a better term, although I'm not sure this is appropriate if Lubavitchers are Sephardic and not Ashkenaz...) Although there is dissonance to the music, there is also a harmonic resolution. Maybe it's a bit of a stretch to see this as an optimistic trope for the resolution of racial-political struggle, but then, everything about Smith's performances seems carefully considered and deliberate. Also, the fact that this song is immediately followed by the 'Lousy Language' piece, which comments on the inadequacy of language seems to reaffirm my reading.
Thursday, February 5, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment